Chicken Tortilla soup is a tasty main course any time of the year. This recipe is easy and for any level of cooking experience. You can also make it a part of a Tex-Mex feast with quesadillas or tacos and of course a margarita! This is one of the most requested recipes that we serve at our yoga retreats. It goes well with our Guacamole and if you're up for it, homemade salsa is perfect too. I usually make a double batch and freeze half, for those weeks when life is too hectic to cook.
- 3 Large Chicken Breasts, skin removed
- 2 yellow squash & 2 zucchini squash
- 6 carrots
- 1 each red and green pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 cans rotel tomatoes
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice (or sub another grain like quinoa
- 1 tsp each of salt and cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped
- avocado slices
- shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- Cook chicken breasts in 2 quarts of water (add salt & pepper) until chicken is cooked (cook on medium, water should be simmering).
- Or cook a whole chicken and use 2 cups chicken plus broth.
- Chop vegetables while chicken is cooking.
- Remove chicken and strain broth.
- Return broth to heat and add vegetables (except tomatoes) and spices.
- Simmer for another hour.
- Add tomatoes and chicken.
- Heat for another hour and serve.
Top it with shredded cheese, avocado and tortilla chips for the ultimate Tortilla Soup. And of course, you can make it veggie - use veggie stock and lots of vegetables for the win.