Nothing is better than oatmeal when the mornings are cooler. I love this recipe as it's hardy and filling and warms me up from the inside out. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Can be topped with any chopped nuts, raisins, cranberries, granola - whatever you have in the pantry.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2-2.5 cups milk* (or non-dairy milk)
- 1 cups water
- 3 large apples, peeled, chopped in ½” pcs (about 7.5 C)
- 1.5 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup chia Seeds
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp butter* (or coconut oil)
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup (reduced from 9 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- Optional Toppings: Toasted Slivered Almonds, Brown Sugar, Granola
- Over medium heat, whisk together the oats, apple, chia seeds, cinnamon, ginger, salt, milk, maple syrup, and applesauce until combined.
- Cook over medium heat for about 9 to 15 minutes, stirring often.
- When the mixture thickens and the oats soften, stir in the pure vanilla extract.
- Pour into a dish and serve with your desired toppings.
- Add equal parts of water and non-dairy milk if the oats become too thick.