The veggies and spices in this curry make it perfect for cooler weather. The spices are gently warming, while the veggies and spices are full of immunity boosting properties.
This recipe is the perfect curry for the person who doesn't like curry. Many of our guests have told me they didn't like curry until they tried mine. I love to serve this with a slice of my Jalapeno Cheddar Bread (Theresa's favorite too). I use the bread to sop up every bit of deliciousness! You can make it vegan, by simply eliminating the chicken and using veggie stock. Feel free to use other vegetables you have on hand. If you're making it vegan, I recommend a can of chickpeas.
Chicken or Vegan Curry
- 2 T Coconut oil
- 2 T fresh ginger - minced
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 1 T minced pickled jalapeno
- 2 Garlic cloves - minced
- 1 T curry powder
- 1 t salt & pepper
- 2 c. chicken or veggie broth
- 3 sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped
- 2 c. carrots - cut into coins
- 2 c red or yellow bell peppers - chopped
- 4 c. kale (sautéed)
- 2 c. mushrooms - sliced
- 2 c. chicken (cooked)
- 3 cans coconut milk (well shaken)
- White or brown rice for serving.
- Heat oil in large pan.
- Add onion, ginger, jalapeno & garlic sauté until tender.
- Add the curry powder & sauté another 30 sec.
- Pour in broth and scrape bottom and side of pan to loosen any browned bits.
- Add the potatoes & carrots.
- Cook until potatoes and carrots are barely tender.
- Sauté the kale.
- Add peppers & mushrooms and continue to sauté.
- Add to pot of curry along with chicken and coconut milk.
- Let simmer on low for 10 mins then taste sauce and add salt as needed
- Serve with White or Brown Rice.
This tastes even better the next day after the flavors have had a chance to meld.