Asparagus Tomato & Feta Salad
If you love fresh asparagus, or maybe you merely like it, this recipe will have you hooked. Perhaps your only experience with asparagus was asparagus in the can, the good news – fresh asparagus tastes NOTHING like canned asparagus. Thank goodness!
Just in time for asparagus season, this guest favorite is nice as a side dish, or with the addition of a protein (grilled chicken or quinoa are my favorites), a perfect warm weather main dish.
- 2 lbs asparagus
- 2 garlic clovee
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup toasted walnuts
- ¾ cup Feta (or crumbled blue or goat cheese to add an interesting twist)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Prepare vinaigrette – place vinegar in a small saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat and allow to boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Pour into a small bowl, add olive oil, mustard, honey & garlic. Whisk together until well blended and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Break asparagus into two inch pieces and add to boiling water and allow to boil until tender but crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a large mixing bowl with ice water. Drain asparagus and place in ice water. Let rest about 10 seconds and drain well.
- Place in a large bowl with tomatoes, walnuts & ½ cup of the feta. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss. Transfer to serving bowl and sprinkle with the remaining feta.
- Place in fridge until ready to serve. Make ahead of time for best flavor.