Wild Rice Salad with Fresh Herbs
This cool and healthy salad is the perfect way to keep your cool this summer. Enjoy it as a side dish, or add protein such as chicken or salmon, for an easy and delicious main dish.
In the heat of Summer, the best way to stay cool is to eat cooling foods, avoiding hot food (in flavor and temperature). Cooling foods such as melons, cucumbers, cherries and zucchini will definitely help you keep your cool as the temperature creeps up. Here’s a list on what fruits and vegetables to enjoy and what to avoid.
Wild rice is packed with protein (more than quinoa), low in fat and gluten free. The slightly nutty flavor and texture is a great base for any salad or just sprinkled on greens.
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup of Wild Rice
- 1 cup chicken or veggie broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1 cup Slivered Almonds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped fresh thyme (or parsley, sage or even chives)
- 1 lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- Rinse rice thouroghly
- Saute garlic in olive oil
- Add rice let cook for 5 minutes
- Add all liquid
- Add cranberries
- Bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce to low, simmer and cover for 45 minutes.
- After cooking, add thyme, mint and almonds.
- Squeeze lemon over top
- Fluff with fork.
- Refrigerate before serving.