Spring Strawberry Superfood Crisp – GF || vegan || low-sugar
Spring is HERE! I love love love it! Especially being in the Pines. There’s something special about spring air out there… waking up to sunshine through the window… birds singing… the wind between the trees… the stillness… and of course, coffee on the porch and day dreams in the hammock.
My roommate claims the crisp “smells like Christmas“, which I’d agree with… just for you – a little bit of Christmas cheer for your Spring! (:
Ever since mom and I took the “Luscious Lemons” class at the Central Market cooking school, I’ve been on a serious cooking spree! Stay tuned for more recipes to come, can’t wait to share these! (:
Spring Strawberry Crisp
S = Substitute
- 1.5 – 2 pounds of strawberries – stems and leaves removed, cut into quarters
- 2 heaping tablespoons coconut oil + some for ‘panning’
- 1.5 cups applesauce (organic, unsweetened) [or substitute leftover fruit/carrot pulp]
- 1 to 2tbsp freshly grated ginger root
- pumpkin pie spice blend [S: cinnamon]
- pure vanilla extract – splash
- 1/2 a lemon – juiced
- 2 cups rolled oats, gluten free
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp powder [S: hemp seed]
- 1 to 2 heaping tbsp molasses [S: honey or agave]
- handful of pecan pieces
Add or Substitute…
- handful of raisins
- 1/4 cup whole or ground flaxseeds + ‘topping’
- handful of toasted coconut
- ‘pan’ 10×12 baking dish with coconut oil and preheat oven to 350 degrees
- in a large bowl, mix strawberries, applesauce (and/or pulp), and pumpkin spice blend with a wooden spoon. grate ginger into strawberries, fold in. transfer contents of bowl into the baking dish.
- in the empty bowl (the one you just used because you don’t want to lose any of the flavor, plus who doesn’t like to save dishes) melt coconut oil (~30 in microwave).
- whisk in vanilla and lemon juice. add oats to coconut oil mixture and mix with wooden spoon until coated. fold in molasses. fold in chia seeds and hemp.
- cover the strawberries with oat mixture.
- sprinkle a handful of pecans, a pinch of flaxseeds, or some unsweetened coconut over the top.
- bake in preheated oven for 20+ minutes, until browned, bubbly, and desired strawberry consistency*.
see “nina’s notes”
please, keep scrolling!
- serve in cobbler dishes warm: by itself, on steel cut oatmeal, with a dollop of greek or vanilla yogurt, with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream, or some other fantastic way you discover.
*i like my strawberries to still have a little bit of body to them, al dente. this usually takes my oven about 20 minutes, give or take – they’re all a little crazy.
**i like using molasses over honey/agave because it has less sugar.
1 tbsp molasses = 10g ||vs.|| 1 tbsp honey/agave = 16g
– i discovered this recipe by experimenting with an apple crisp but i thought since apples are going out of season, and having strawberries here for spring, it’s even. more. perfect. (hallelujah)
‘panning’ is how you coat the pan. use your fingers. do it like your grandma did crisco! (;
– because it’s low-sugar, it makes a great addition to your power breakfast or can be enjoyed as a healthier dessert (great for showing off at parties).
– be fearless in the kitchen! have fun and discover something new. comment with your combinations!
Be sure to check out our other recipe posts at RetreatinthePines.com/blog/category/recipes/