Fiesta Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet potatoes are abundant in East Texas in the Fall. Join us for a retreat the fourth weekend in October and you can check out the Golden Sweet Potato Festival. So much fun…even Oprah made a visit a few years ago.
We absolutely love sweet potatoes, not only for their great taste, but also for the nutritional value. They are high in fiber, yet low in sugar, plus a great source of Vitamin A (366% of the necessary daily requirement).
We serve mashed sweet potatoes and mini sweet potato pies (as a birthday treat) in the Winter. We add sweet potatoes to our Chicken & Vegetable Curry and we have a to-die-for sweet potato hash on Sunday mornings during our Fall and Winter retreats. But this recipe is my absolute favorite. A little bit of spice makes it interesting. This is especially good for you, based on Ayurveda principles, to warm you up in cooler weather and keep your digestive system happy and functioning properly. Plus, you can make a double batch and freeze what you don’t use. Enjoy!
What You’ll Need
- 6 c. Chicken or Veggie Broth
- 6 Sweet potatoes, peeled & chunked
- 3 Multi Colored Bell Peppers, chunked
- 1 large onion, chunked
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 3 Zucchini, chunked
- 2 c. Cooked Chicken, chunked or Shredded
- 1 Tblsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Cayenne
- ½ tsp Paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ¼ c. cilantro chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 lime juiced, plus extra slices for garnish
- 1 small red onion finely chopped for garnish
- Avocado chunks for garnish
- Bring broth & sweet potatoes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender. Using an immersion blender, blend potatoes and broth just until thick leaving a few chunks of potatoes.
- Meanwhile, Saute peppers, onions, garlic & zucchini in 1 Tblsp coconut oil or olive oil. Once tender add cooked chicken & season with spices, salt & pepper. Stir to combine and let saute for 5 mins more.
- Add Veggie & Chicken mixture to the Potato broth. Let simmer for at least 10 mins to allow flavors to mix.
- Right before serving stir in cilantro & lime Juice. Taste and add Salt if needed.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, lime slices, chunked avocados & chopped onion on the side.